Friday 17 October 2014

Completed Hawthorn

As you know I'd been attending an advanced dress making course and had chosen the Colette Hawthorn as my project of choice.  I didn't fancy a dress because to be honest I don't wear many anymore.  And I really love the style of the top.  Sleeves were a must.  I have to say it was really tricky to get the fit right.  I'm between 3 sizes, so I had to do a fair bit of grading, a bust adjustment and take in the side seams, but I'm pretty happy with the results.


I think if I do this again, I will make the collar bigger.

The plackets on the sleeves were without doubt the hardest thing I've ever sewn, but then I had a 'eureka' moment on the 2nd one and I realised exactly how to make it work.  Funny how things just click eventually - that's why you should try, try again.

I've got a couple of wears out of this, which is a first for me as I've not really worn anything I've made yet.  The fabric gets creased pretty easily.

There will definitely be another one!

No comments: